Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I have a dilemma



We are fortunate to have the Pacific Dogwood grow in our backyard. We did have two, but we lost one several years in a bad wind storm. One is still flourishing. These trees are the official tree of Canada, and are protected from cutting and digging. http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CONU4. They are amazing when in bloom. The flowers glow in the evening light.
After reading about this special tree, we realized that we can't trim the shoots at the base of the tree without causing harm. The shoots grow to keep the roots protected in the winter, and cool in the summer. Okay, we love you tree, you can keep your shoots. Also, these trees generally die if you try to dig them up and move them.
Hence, my dilemma.
Look what I found in the wrong spot in our yard. Yep, it's a little Pacific Dogwood start. Now I could let it grow and let it literally take over the small grassed area in our yard, or try to move it. I asked Julia (a friend and fellow organic gardener) if she thought I could move it and she said we might be able to transplant it somewhere else in the yard this fall. She also said what I already know, IT'S RISKY.
The native birds love these trees, especially the little hummingbirds and sparrows. The honey bees love these trees too. I love our tree. I now love this new little tree. Need to think this one through.
Baby Boomer Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment