Thursday, June 21, 2007

What to Take

Tomorrow I leave for a knitting retreat at Edgar's Place. It's not a big retreat at all, just four of us knitters getting together to knit, laugh, drink and eat. No moms, no men, no mention of work for a whole weekend. We did this last February and had such a good time that we decided we needed to do it again for Summer Solstice. So, what to take. Well, take something I'm working on, right? Well, that leaves me with a lot to pick from so I narrowed it down to three:

The Heartbeat Sweater. This is my "at home" knitting. I am done with the front. It was FUN!!! I'm pleased with the way it came out. I am, however, banking on Jill's comment that the slanted sides will straighten out when the pieces all come together. I've started the back, and am ready to do the shoulders.

I love the way the piece does start out looking like a heart. I'm knitting the back on the 60" needles again because it is just easier to hold the piece up against me on the longer needles. I'll switch over to the 24" when I start doing the shoulders.
The Jaywalker Socks. www.magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm. This is my commuting project to and from work because it fits into my purse very nicely. (I know one of my neighbors saw me take this picture, and I am sure they were wondering why I was hanging a sock in my Clematis.) This is a fun sock to knit. I tried to try it on last night, and yes folks, it's too small even though there are 76 stitches on the size 1 needle, instead of my usual 72 stitches on size 1 needle. Grumperina did state that the sock doesn't sag and stays up nicely because it is knit on the bias. Well, it is also a tight fabric because of the bias and the ridges. Not a problem, I know just the person to give these socks to for Christmas. Fortunately, she has size 8 feet.

The socks for Mom (another commuting project). Mom has diabetic feet which are badly mishapened. She wants me to knit her a pair of socks. I took very detailed measurements of her feet and am hoping to come up with something. She wants something colorful enough for her to see, obnoxious, and loud. Well, I think the Lang BEBE Jacquard is colorful, obnoxious and loud enough for her. I love the way the colors are coming out. I am also fascinated with the way the yarn is stacked in the plastic bag. In order to make the sock flexible enough to go over her feet I am using a size 3 needle. I'll try it on my big feet this weekend to see what I think. I hope these work. The next challenge will be finding the sticky stuff to put on the bottoms of the socks to make them skid proof. Any suggestions?

Okay, well this exercise has helped me decide what to take. I do have Sally Melville's Einstein Jacket at Edgar's Place I could work on. And ... the big afghan is coming along for everyone to knit at least one row. Pictures will follow.

TTFN

Baby Boomer Sue




No comments:

Post a Comment