Monday, August 27, 2007

Enough for Three Batches of Strawberry Jam

The last time we went to Edgar's Acres, I picked strawberries. This is the first year we have grown strawberries. I wasn't real excited about growing strawberries because I had spent many a summer when I was a kid picking berries to earn money. It was hot, sticky and dirty work. We got up at 4:00 a.m. to meet the bus at 5:00, so we could start picking at 6:00. We were done at 2:00 in the afternoon. (The fields where I picked are now the home to the apartment complex where Frank and John lived last year.)

Well, I'm converted into loving strawberries again. These berries are so sweet and juicy, and I don't have to make a goal of ten flats a day picking them. I picked enough for David and I to have some with ice cream for dessert when we were at Edgar's Acres, and brought home enough to make three batches of freezer jam. Hear that Frank, three batches of freezer strawberry jam.

I also harvested the rest of our onions, garlic, and some broccoli. The tomato plants were loaded and I am hoping we will have some red ones when we go back over this weekend.

I am also keeping an eye on my artichoke plant. I am letting one go to flower. They are supposed to be beautiful flowers.

This is what it looked like the last time we were there.

I am excited to see what it looks like when we get there on Thursday.

I picked Viola's carrots. Fred (one of our neighbors in Sequim) told me that Viola's favorite vegetable was carrots, especially carrots right out the garden. I grew these for her.


We will be harvesting and freezing our corn. We had a couple of ears last time and they were so sweet and tender. The rest of the corn should be ready this weekend.

See the tomato plant in the middle of the garden (with the three poles)? That plant is loaded. I hope it's loaded with RED tomatoes. It has been colder than usual this summer so who know. If we have red tomatoes, our dinner for Thursday night will probably be fresh red potatoes, tomatoes, brocolli and corn. Who could ask for anything more!

Did I mention I hope we have red tomatoes? Oh yeah, several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment