Thursday, July 9, 2009

Why Are We Getting Up at 4:30 a.m.?

Louie has been getting me up at 4:30 a.m. the last couple of mornings. He's persistent and won't let up until I crawl out of bed, make the coffee (he at least let's me do that), and then let the dogs out. I go back into the house, grab the first cup of coffee out of the coffee maker, and go sit on the deck while the dogs are romping around and the sun is coming up. Then it happens, I see the barn owl swooping down over the neighbors wild foliage area, grab a mouse (or something), and fly off into the sky.
Not only do I see the owl flying, I can hear the flapping of its wings. It's a sight to behold, and a true wonder.

Next I hear the mourning dove sing it's wake up call. Edgar's Acres is the only place where I have seen and heard the mourning dove. What a beautiful bird.
Then along comes our neighborhood mule deer, Darla, without her baby, starting her day. All this before 5:30 a.m.
Hence, the reason why we get up at 4:30 a.m. It's a killer, but you know, it's worth it.

Later in the morning I saw the first of the American Bald Eagles flying over. Each time I see one I am in complete awe. I never tire of see the true majesty of this bird.

And then there is the goldfinch, which is a delight to see anytime. They are such cheery little birds. The color alone is cheerful, and their song is so sweet.

Then, later on in the afternoon is the local raccoon. Not too fond of them, but they are beautiful in their own right. It's odd to see them during the day, however, since they are primarily nocturnal animals.

I haven't done one stitch of knitting today. I knit so much yesterday while it rained that I spent most of the time outside working in the yard. Leslie, and her mom, Ramona, had me over for dinner tonight and we had a nice time and wonderful dinner. Good company and good food, what a perfect combination for a good time.

Well, I'm heading to bed early tonight so Louie can see the barn owl again tomorrow morning.

By the way. I'm sure it's obvious, but the photos are not mine. The images section of Google gets all of the credit.

TTFN

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment