Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Communications

Does anyone write a letter anymore, put it in an envelope, seal it, put a stamp on it, and then ... drop it into a mailbox? I was trying to remember the last time I received a hand written letter and can't. I do remember writing a letter to Debbie about 8 years ago. I don't hand write letters because my handwriting has become bad. Between taking notes at work for years, and getting bonked on the head a few years back, half the time I can't read my writing.

Over the weekend my sons talked me into signing up for Facebook. Fun. I got to thinking, however, how may ways people now communicate with each other. It's too much. We have the lan line house phone, primarly used by the "police guild" and politicians, and by India trying to get you to buy something. It's also a backup for the computer if the power goes out.

Then there is the cell phone, which most people use now since the police guilds, politicians and India don't (at this time) have access to that number.

Text messaging on the cell phone is evident everywhere. I am amazed at the number of people so involved in texting on their phones that they just keep walking while texting. This can be a dangerous way to communicate. Texting while walking in front of traffic seems to be a common practice, as well as texting while entering or exiting an elevator (which freaks me out each time I see someone doing that, but that is another story).

Email, good old fashion email.

Then there are blogs, which is one of my personal favorites. Twitter, for twittering.

IM (instant messaging).

Ravelry for those who are into the passtime called knitting.

And then there is Facebook.

My question is how can I get anything done if I'm busy sitting at my computer checking my emails, blog, Facebook, and oh yes, my remote access.

Off to knit and get ready for more gardening.

When I have time, I'll have to bring you all up to date on what's been happening. I just need to figure out which communication venue to use.

TTFN

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment