Saturday, September 5, 2009

Greetings from Edgar's Acres

We arrived at Edgar's Acres yesterday morning. The sky was blue and clear, and it was a lovely 70 degrees. Before we started out on lawn mowing and gardening, we ran some errands. I love Sequim, it has the nicest stores with the nicest people working in them. The only thing wrong with Sequim is it's too far for Frank and John to come visit for a weekend. It's a long trip. Who knows, however, now that John has a new car that gets good gas mileage, we may see them make a trip.

We went and had breakfast at the Oak Table. They serve you wonderful food, more than ample portions. The staff is wonderful, and the restaurant, and the settings are really, really well done. The prices are affordable as well. Next we off to A Dropped Stitch so I could pick up a couple of skeins of yarn I need for a project I'm working on (and to say hi).

Then it was off for groceries at Sunny Farm. I love this store. It's small, but the meat and produce is the very best. We don't have to worry about the meat having hormones added, nor a bunch of chemicals dumped on the veggies. The deli is wonderful. The store is small, but so charming. It is also very busy. Yesterday I decided to take some pictures. People were looking at me like I had lost my mind. Afterall, who takes pictures of a grocery store? Well, I had to. The colors of the veggies were truly amazing.


All of these veggies are so fresh, and they will store much longer than veggies purchased at the major grocery stores.

How can you resist? I've learned to hold back and purchase just what we can eat in two weeks.

No wonder we eat so well over here. Between the veggies we grow ourselves, and what we can buy at Sunny Farm, we are lacking for nothing.

Yesterday I harvested the first of the sunflowers. I grew the sunflowers that have seeds for eating, both for humans and for birds. Some of these flowers measure 16" across.
They are now in the garage drying out. I plan is to roast them for eating.

I've left several for the birds, and hopefully, for some volunteer plants next year.

The first thing I spotted in the garden were the tomatoes.


We'll be having BLT sandwiches today for lunch. The green tomatoes broke off the bush when I was picking a red one. Not a problem. I'll put them in a brown paper bag for a few days to ripen. As I was telling David yesterday, it's safe to say that tomatoes are a fall crop here in our area. These tomatoes are Big Beef, and I purchased the plants from Territorial Seed in Oregon.

My plan for this weekend is to plant green manure in the garden to get it ready for winter. I'll be planting crimson red clover this year. It helps to keep the weeds down, shelters the soil from the hard winter rains, and nourishes the soil for next spring.

Well, there's blue sky outside so I'm off to see what I can get done today.

TTFN

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment