Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

Today is Independence Day, the 4th of July. It is a day to celebrate the birth of the United States of America, and all that this country stands for. I am proud to say I'm an American, and feel blessed to live in this country. I hold dear the fact that I have ancestors who fought for the independence of this country, and have a son who still is ready to be called to fight to preserve that independence.
Our country is beautiful and holds a lot of promise for all of us. I am grateful for the democracy and all of the rights I have. I've recently had occasion to see the judicial system up close and personal, and all in all, it is a remarkable system, based on the US Constitution.


Today we are going to have Leslie over for our annual "let's sit in the yard, drink, eat, warm up by the fire, and enjoy everyone else's fireworks." As usual, it's cold. In the maritime Northwest, summer traditionally comes on July 5th, and this year is right in suit. We had a lovely day yesterday, and will tomorrow, but today ... it's wool stocks and fleece weather.


July is the usual kick off month for Operation Holiday Stockings. These little stockings are nice summer projects. I've started on my bunch, and this year I'm doing something a bit different. Since this is the sixth year for knitting these stockings, I decided to make the knitting a little interesting.
I'm using the stockings as a swatch to try out different stitches. I'm having fun doing it, and it's nice to see the how the stitches knit out. I've got the 365 Knitting Stitches A Year Perpetual Calendar, and am trying out the stitches that work. For these stockings, can't have lace, which means no YOs (yarn overs), and cables can be a bit much for a "simple" project (means a cable needle). The pattern repeat needs to be limited to no more than four lines. Anything else and I won't be able to memorize the pattern. I've been making little notes for each pattern I've been doing, like how the fabric feels, what I might use it form, and whether or not it was fun to knit.


Right now I'm knitting the Slipped Rib 1 (February 7), which is a nice stitch. This stitch is a good one for a scarf for either a man or woman; it stays flat, and isn't dense or bulky.


Stitch on my dear knitting friends, and tarry on my other friends. Have a wonderful holiday, and cherish the freedoms you have.

TTFN

Sue



No comments:

Post a Comment